WICKEDLOCAL.COM/The Concord Journal | Thursday, June 10, 2021 | 7A
Daughters of the American Revolution honors the Melvin Memorial
Courtesy of The Old Concord Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
The Old Concord Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution placed a wreath at the Melvin Memorial in Concord’s Sleepy Hallow Cemetery on Memorial Day.
The memorial is in memory of the three brothers, John Heald Melvin, Asa Heald Melvin, and Samuel Melvin lost in the Civil War. They had a surviving brother, James C. Melvin, who had Daniel Chester French design and build the memorial in his three brothers’ memory. The memorial was dedicated on June 16, 1909.
The Melvin Memorial has special meaning to the Old Concord Chapter of the DAR for the exceptional work of Daniel Chester French as well as for the connections the brothers’ ancestors had to the American Revolution. In the town’s records it states that the three brothers were of the lineage of Amos Melvin. Amos Melvin was the sentinel for the courthouse in the early hours on April 19, 1775. Dr. Samuel Prescot reached Concord Center around 2AM on April 19, 1775, after escaping the encounter with the British patrol, to announce that the regulars were coming. Upon Dr. Samuel Prescott’s request, it was Amos Melvin who rang the courthouse bells repeatedly awakening and alerting the town of Concord.
The Melvin brothers also had ancestors from their mother, Caroline Heald, involved in the American Revolution. This includes the Roll alarm in Lexington and Highway Surveyors. The brothers’ sister, Caroline Conant became an active DAR member as well as some descendants.
For more information on the Old Concord Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution see www.oldconcorddar.org.